ProvenanceLionel Walrond (1927-2020), Stroud, UK; a note that accompanies this vase indicates that it was found in the desert on 23rd January 1947
These items are from the collection of Lionel Walrond. Lionel was born in 1927 to tenant farmers on a small dairy farm in Somerset. Both parents died before Lionel's 4th birthday and he was brought up by aunties and an uncle in Pitney. On leaving school he became interested in history and archaeology, a passion that lead to the discovery of two Roman villas in South Somerset before his 18th birthday; that of Low Ham and Lufton. Lionel fervently collected local historical artefacts and set up a museum on his farm in a converted WWII American Army Nissan hut. Local finds of Roman and neolithic origin were displayed alongside agricultural bygones. Lionel moved to Stroud in 1955 to take up the post of curator at the Stroud Museum, which he held for the following 37 years.
LiteratureCompare Flinders Petrie, The Funeral Furniture of Egypt with Stone and Metal Vases pl.XI, no.86
Also see El-Khouli, Egyptian Stone Vessels Predynastic Period to Dynasty III (London, 1977), nos.469-472, for the form